the controls and physics are kinda bonky and the out of tone music scares me but other than that it's a fun puzzle game of reuniting 2 friends
Have you ever looked at an empty piece of paper for minutes and imagined various stories or mini games? No? Is it just me...? Alright... I'm the type that spends 10 minutes creating a silly drawing and for the next few hours I'm trying to find a meaning to all my own non-sensical scribbles.
Yep, this idea is perfect to create a GBA game about, Especially when this is the only idea that floats around in your exhausted thoughts.
How to play
- Left/Right : move your character horizontally
- Up/Down : move on stairs
- A : jump
- L : switch character
- R : hold for explorer mode
- Start : pause menu
- Select : Goddess mode
When playing in browser, the key mapings are as follows:
- D-Pad : arrow heys
- A : Z
- L : A
- R : S
- Start : Enter
- Select : Backslash (\)
- I should thank DogedomStudios for hosting Retro Platform Jam #4, the pretext and also the factor without which Notebook Adventure wouldn't have come into existence
- BowersIndustry for discovering a ladder bug in the first level
- modarcihve.org for providing spectacular retro music-related resources
- libgba for the GBA development tools
- any GBA-related forum, article, post, source codes all over the internet, no matter I have read them or not. They are amazing and each one is a valuable source of answer for any of your possible questions.
- The browser version of the game is hosted and emulated by GBA.js slightly modified to achieve a simplified layout
This is a GBA ROM that can be played by an emulator like mGBA, Visual Boy Advance or no$gba. It can also be played on real hardware using a flashcard. It also works fine with GBA Runner 2 on the DSi.
- Now with in-browser emulationApr 19, 2022
- Notebook Adventure v1.3 (probably final) - New levels and bug fixesApr 09, 2022
- Notebook Adventure v1.2 - Now we have an intro!Apr 08, 2022
- Notebook Adventure v1.1.1 - SRAM init hotfixApr 08, 2022
- Notebook Adventure v1.1 - a stylistic updateApr 08, 2022
- Notebook Adventure 1.0 - First "real" versionApr 07, 2022
- Now the game shouldn't freeze anymoreApr 06, 2022
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
why do i hear no audio?
Sound is disabled in the browser emulator, because of performance reasons. For a full gameplay experience you can try to run the ROM on your own emulator/hardware
I enjoyed reuniting the two friends :)
I really like the idea of this game! I love the hand drawn look of the game. And it feels really nice. I did find one bug in the game, you can DM me on discord if you'd like to know more. I'm really liking where this is going!